Monday, August 17, 2009

Our First Night Sail!

After spending a day in Schooner Cove to install a secondary mast track for our storm sail, we started heading south again on Thursday. Upon arrival in Victoria at Oak Bay, Pat and Noah popped by to join us for dinner, and supply us with a few critical lures for our tuna fishing adventures. And, Jo came down to the boat to send us off.

Following a restful night, on Friday we took off again, but this time for the USA border. We arrived in Port Angeles to check in with customs and were issued a one-year cruising permit. We then headed out the Juan de Fuca Straight, towards open ocean. We stopped for the night in a small bay where the constant rolling ensured a terrible sleep. Saturday, we continued to Neah Bay - the last point of shelter before heading around the corner to the outside, unprotected waters. Neah Bay is a small first nations community with few services, but we were able to buy a few extra groceries, and finish the preparations for heading offshore.

On Sunday morning, we started up ol' Perk (our engine), and spent most of the day motoring away from land. We've chosen to take the express route (a few stops along the way) as opposed to the bluewater route (no stops between here and San fran). This makes it easier for us to run into port if we have any trouble, or if the weather changes. Here is Cape Flattery - the last point of land, before heading out towards the open ocean:

Our first overnight was fabulous. We set the sails just before dinner, and sailed all through the night. We took turns being on watch for 3-4 hour periods. During my watch, the sky was clear, and the stars were stunning. And surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as freaky as I had imagined. In fact, after about 15 minutes, I was able to relax, and enjoy the ride.

By morning, we were just outside Grays Harbour, so we decided to duck in, get some internet tasks done, and get a full nights rest before pushing on. We've finally found wi-fi (which has been much more difficult than I expected). Although I'm sitting in the Mermaid Cafe, and I suspect they want their table back for new customers. And...the lovely staff at the marina drove me into town so i could dropoff a couple packages at the post office. Is that great or what?? And moorage is only $12. A far cry for the almost $50 we paid at Schooner Cove.

I even had a chance to do some sewing - sail ties, winch covers, and John's jeans.

Be sure to click on the link at the top right of the page to see our current position.


Marie-Andree said...

Have a safe journey!

Jen Berry said...

well done. I was wondering if you had to pass through some kind of border. take care

Naomi said...

Thanks Marie-Andree. Let us know when you'll be in the neighborhood!

Jen - we had to check in a Port Angeles to get our official permit. we'll have to check out again in San Diego, before heading into Mexico.

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for leaving a comment on the blog! Cheers - John and Naomi